Best viewed using Google Chrome. Please email me if you need a fast reply as I may only reply comments here after a month. If you like my blog, remember to follow me! Thanks

Friday, February 1, 2013

Introducing Ethan (aka Canon 400D)

First of all, a best shot of Ethan.
Ethan says he has specks of dust on his lens cover. I told him it's the best shot already. =.=
Hi! I'm introducing Ethan in this post. His story is one that needs to be told, and hopefully I'm telling it in the best way possible. (Or else he's gonna be mad at me and won't function properly LOL)


Ethan and I posing for a shoot =D
I've wanted a DSLR camera for quite some time to see how it works and how to manually take good photographs. More often than not point-and-shoot cameras end up with photos looking grainy, blurry, overexposed etc with no solutions to remedy, especially in difficult conditions like low-light. I kept borrowing my friends' DSLRs (especially Abel's =.=) when they brought it out with them.

*Makes me think of those times when they would secretly bring the cameras to school and we would shoot away in class, all without permission from the school. :P But the teachers never minded as we didn't shoot photos during lessons, only between them. With two available DSLRs and multiple compact cameras that our class owned, the opportunity to take class/group/personal pictures of us were endless. Not to mention those many class outings/trips. Miss those days LOL*

But as we all know DSLRs cost thousands even for entry-level ones. So unfortunately I have no choice but to forget about it. My parents will never ever ever ever purchase anything that cost thousands (or even hundreds, for that matter) for something which they won't know if I'm serious about it or not. No hope.

At aunt's house
So it was some sort of the biggest surprise+shock+miracle ever when we visited my second aunt (my dad's sister) like usual and she gave us the news that her room tenant (she rents a room to a guy who lives there quite a long time already) was clearing his stuff from his room and gave some to her. At first she was talking about computers, how her laptop broke down and the guy gave her one that he used and didn't want anymore because he was changing to a newer one.

Then she said that he also gave her cameras, and "big one" at that. My head was spinning, spinning, spinning when she brought out the DSLR (it was in a HUGE camera bag) and its original box. Opened the bag, took it out, and we both examined each other in wonder and amazement. (hahaha).

The original box is full of related stuff that the guy kept very meticulously. There are booklets about lens and user guide manuals, lots of plastic packagings that supposedly held the stuff that is already on the camera, such as the UV filter. There is also another lens, a smaller prime lens, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II.

All the booklets and manuals I'm supposed to read.
The guy also kept the purchase receipt in the box, which amounted to RM4450 for everything except the prime lens. Aunt said he told her that including the extra lens, everything amounted to over RM5000. O.o Rich guy right? He earns tens of thousands a month, (some sort of engineer) and he likes to buy IT stuff and branded clothing. This is what I heard from my aunt, and the weird thing is, he's still renting a room. No house whatsoever of his own. Funny right? Maybe he has different priorities.

The funniest thing was that he gave the IT stuffs to my aunt and uncle who have no idea how to use them. Wondered why he didn't give to his friends who would've known a thing or two about the IT stuff. Or maybe his friends are rich enough too to buy new stuff of their own. Whatever it is, the DSLR ended up mine. LOL. =)

Here are some bullet points about it (lazy to write in paragraphs):
This looks like I'm kissing Ethan. :P
His eye is wide in shock. :P

  • I gave the DSLR a name. He's called Ethan, after Ethan Wate of Beautiful Creatures. I'm sure you know him if you've read it, he's the main character in the series, and my favourite so far. What better name to give than that? :D
  • Ethan's model is Canon EOS 400D/Digital Rebel XTi 
  • Ethan came with a Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Autofocus Kit Lens. (a better upgrade from the most basic 18-55 kit lens)
  • Ethan was purchased new in October 2007, so that would make him about 5 years and 3 months old to date.
  • Ethan has a separately purchased prime lens (EF 50mm f/1.8 II) which is the biggest seller of all time and which according to many reviews is a great lens with a low price and fast speed.
  • Ethan is 100% mine, which means it's not a family camera, which allows for more freedom while using it (a no-brainer obviously).
Posing with my Ethan. <3
For those who think that an entry-level camera and a kit lens won't take great photos, check this blog post by Jingna Zhang, a professional fashion and editorial photographer. Click HERE. She got her start with a Canon EOS 350D and the 18-55mm kit lens with it eight years ago, and look at her pictures she took. She's good, isn't she? The main recipe needed is knowledge, experience and a passion for photography. Sure, a pro-level expensive lens will probably produce sharper, better images, but the beauty it can produce will be lost on someone who doesn't know/love photography. 

For those who crave a DSLR camera of their own, don't fret. With new technology every day, it's not hard to find a good yet inexpensive 2nd-hand DSLR with lens. And trust me, you don't need a new camera, or an expensive lens. If you're serious about it, you can always upgrade later. The key is to start with a basic one that you can learn from. And I totally agree with what Jingna Zhang said on that blog post above. I'll quote it here:
I know it's easy to be bitter about what someone else has, but maybe take a moment to chill and think about it, about how you can work to get things for yourself just as well if there isn't someone to get them for you. I'm sure you'll treasure what you spend your money on even more, with a pretty good sense of satisfaction too. :) -Jingna Zhang, professional photographer.

Ethan and I. I love you =)
I love what she said, and I know it's the absolute truth. And not only about cameras, the same applies for everything that you and I have ever wanted but nobody could/wants to get it for us, and we feel oh-so-bitter when we see how easily other people get everything (and still don't appreciate!). I know I got Ethan for totally free, but that doesn't reduce my love for him. Primarily because I know how much it would've cost me to get him if I was asked to pay for him, and also because I have loved him before I even know he existed. Haha. =P

Anyway, I'm aware that just like any human being (especially boys! Hahaha), Ethan has his own weaknesses as well as strengths. But I'm sure I'll learn a lot from him and I'm glad that he'll be with me to experience the awesome world of photography. Sorry that this post doesn't feature any of Ethan's photos as I'm still figuring out how to read the CF card (he doesn't use a SD card). I'll update when I have his photos up!

Till then,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do let me know what you think! :)