Best viewed using Google Chrome. Please email me if you need a fast reply as I may only reply comments here after a month. If you like my blog, remember to follow me! Thanks

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Petronas Scholarship Interview 2013


Hey I'm back!
To all of you who don't know what happened to me, well I had this invitation to go for an interview day dubbed the Petronas Youngstars Day (yeah, I know sounds cheesy..) for the Petronas scholarship I applied.

I applied for finance by the way. :) 'cause that's the only course choice available that isn't science-related (or non-technical, as they say). JM and YP got the invitation too. Heard that this year they had the line drawn at 7A+ and 2A-. So everyone there are amazing people with excellent results. O.O

We went KL by coach, ended up at 1Utama where my uncle picked us up and took us over to his house. Talked whole night about the possible interview questions and took really funny photos (which they have asked me not to post up haha).

Next day, all of us bundled into the car and were brought to Taylor's University. The registration line is damn loooooooong. I spent my time talking to a Malay girl who moved from Penang to KL a few years ago. Her English was not bad. :) And she said that I didn't speak like I came from a Chinese school. Awesome, right? Haha.

After registration I was placed in Group B. Sat along the row of seats for Group B in the hall for opening speech and briefing. To my right was a Malay girl who didn't talk to me. A girl came up to sit to my left, and we smiled at each other. We exchanged common pleasantries, her name was Daniela. Later after the speech we were bundled into a holding room while Group A people had their interviews. Daniela sat beside me again so we talked quite a lot. :)

I ran out to find JM and YP who came along but their interviews were on the next day. And took some pics together. ;)





Then I left to go back to my room. When Group A are halfway through, we were brought up to rooms upstairs and seated according to our group numbers. Mine was B13, but then changed to B19. We were given a case study and each of us got a different card with a different viewpoint on the case. We were supposed to elaborate upon the points and give suggestions. The Malay guy sitting beside me was from Terengganu, he was quite nice but couldn't speak English fluently, so I had a hard time understanding. But at least he tried. :)


When it was our turn (my group), we left to go to another room some distance away. Individual interview first, so we went in one-by-one. I was last. I was asked to tell them more about myself, and then start giving my views on the case. I had a lot of points, but barely used them because they started questioning me afterward and kept pressing on with the questions. =.=

Anyway, the next round was group interview. We were supposed to discuss and come up with a solution. My group was awesome with it, they were quite proactive. Even the guy from Terengganu did his best despite broken English. So I think that went really well. :)

Everyone was hungry (especially interviewers) because the time was stretched too far (it was the first day, their time management sucks). Lunch was finished really fast and then we had to end up in a holding room again while waiting for everyone to be done. I spent about half an hour talking to the people around me, two of them from my interview group, three just met. I don't know, but I think they were really fun people to be around with. We had this instant rapport among us and I even thought a few of them were old friends, but turned out everyone just met today. Lol. They were very interesting (and smart!) people. Like wow. :D

Later we were split into technical and non-technical groups, and took three tests. First up was Maths for me. For those technical courses they had Science though. I forgot lots of the formulas...after four months. Zzz. Then we had the critical thinking tests, one full of texts, one full of diagrams. Obviously I did better in the texts, finished everything, and as for the diagrams I think I only did half of them. Lolz.

The day ended at 6.30pm, an hour late. Said goodbye to my new friends and left. >.<
I think the best part of the whole interview day was meeting new friends from all over Malaysia and having fun talking to them. Makes me feel that well, KL might not be so bad after all. :)

I don't know if I can get the scholarship. I tried my best after all. ;)
But even if I didn't, I brought home some confidence and many acquaintances.

To all of those who are going for interviews for scholarships or anything, try talking to your "rivals", or well, just people there. You'll be improving on your spoken English + having the confidence to talk to others (especially for shy/Chinese school people) and also get to know new people. Even if you don't get the scholarship later, you will still get some more experience and confidence home. :)

Good luck to all of you on your own scholarship applications and interviews!

23 comments:

  1. hi...i am getting nervous right now since i will attend the youngstar day next week and i am not prepare anything yet.i have the same prob as the terengganu guy since i am not too good in english.i just want to know do you have any tips for the group discussion session.and is the question really tough??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anon!
      Step 1: Calm down.
      Seriously. If you're nervous, you can't think. Your brain jams up and you stop talking. So the first step to anything like this is to not be nervous. I know it's hard, but try to be more confident. Feeling good about yourself will help stop the jitters.
      If you're not too fluent in English, the trick is to talk slowly. Not too slow of course, but during interviews and the discussion, give yourself time to construct your sentence in your head before saying it aloud. Let the interviewer know you need time to think it through, maybe say "it's an interesting question" to buy time.
      Another trick will be to talk in English to everyone you meet on that day, and practise your English by talking to the people in front of you, behind you, beside you, etc. I find everyone really friendly so the only thing you need to do is to start the conversation!
      For the group discussion, as you're in a group, it would be good if you can speak up and address your opinion in a determined way. Try to be assertive and confident, but not overly so and let others have the chance to talk. Better yet, try to get your teammates to discuss YOUR point. The interviewers want to see who really stand out from the group, so if you don't speak up and lead the discussion, they won't notice you at all!
      The questions aren't tough, the tough part is to form your opinions within the time limit and present it confidently to people.
      Lastly, don't be afraid. :) You'll be fine, even if you don't get the scholarship. It's a good experience.
      Michelle

      Delete
  2. Hye. My interview is also next week. Basically, do the non-technical people has to sit for the science test? I'm applying for accounting. I don't know won what to study? Thanks. I really appreciate if you could give some tips on what to study. And do you managed to get this scholarship?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anon 2!
      1. Nope! Accounting people only sit for the critical thinking and mathematics tests. Math test is all about Add Maths stuff so make sure you brush up on your Add Math knowledge! Critical thinking has two parts to it, can't really prepare but just be calm and try to do as much as possible. :)
      2. Study for, like I said above, Add Math questions and stuff, just revise them. I didn't revise and was stumped. The questions are easy if you got A for AM. Brush up on talking in English (for interview), researching about Petronas and the course you want (find out about accounting). That's it basically!
      3. Nope, I'm currently under MOE Bursary at Taylor's College Sri Hartamas, doing IBDP. :) So I don't have any success secrets hehe but I know why I didn't get it (cause didn't really prepare lol). Good experience nonetheless, so don't worry too much, there's always another way if you don't get this.

      Good luck!
      Michelle

      Delete
  3. Hello, i just wanted to ask you, if I applied for overseas programme ( A technical one), do I need to apply to Universiti Teknologi Petronas ( Before the interview ) ?Oh, and what are the things that the interview will be about, as in they give applicants a single word and applicants are to elaborate on it or they are going to give questions that applicants are supposed to answer to during the interview?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anon 3!
      1. Um as far as I know, my friends who applied for technical overseas don't need to apply to UTP first. I think it's a separate thing. I also have a junior who got the UTP scholarship and didn't go to the Youngstar Day. So I'm pretty sure both are different pathways/scholarships. Maybe you can check with Petronas for more info?
      2. Well for one-to-one interview, there will be two interviewers who will ask you random questions (general ones like why you want to study xxx course and also specific ones like about Petronas). I don't remember getting single words. They'll ask you to introduce yourself briefly then ask you questions on a case study that they will give you before the interview to prepare. :) So basically it's case study + personal questions.

      Good luck!
      Michelle

      Delete
  4. Hi, my interview is tomorrow. I am wondering what kind of questions they would ask. I am also not clear about the tests which include physics and stuffs. Also, what must I answer if they ask about my inspiration and how I can contribute to PETRONAS...thx btw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anon 4:
      Sorry for not noticing this earlier :( have you had your interview yet?
      I hope this doesn't come too late, but:
      1. Tests are usually on stuff you've learnt before in SPM. I'm not sure about science stuff, I heard it's from SPM mostly although slightly tricky. But I know that for math, it's everything you've learnt in SPM. They just want to confirm you're good at it.
      2. Your inspiration? I guess only you can answer that! Just answer what you feel and think, there's no right answer. Why do you want this scholarship? Why do you want to study what you're applying for? Think within yourself :)
      How can you contribute? Again, it's something you must answer for yourself. Working there? Contribute not only to Petronas, but also the country? Research about what Petronas does beside digging for oil, and you can come up with ways you can use your knowledge to give back to the company :)

      You're welcome, hope it's not too late! Good luck!
      Michelle

      Delete
  5. Hii, Im having my interview session this saturday.. May i ask what kind of questions they will be giving to us in our case study seesion? izit hard? Im kinda worried because im not really good in english speaking. =(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Emily! in you offer letter, they stated programme agenda right? but they don't state that we have iv instead of assessment? do you think that we have iv? however, the time given is too long if they just asked us for doing assessment only..

      Delete
    2. oh hi, im not sure but i think it stated assessment in my offer letter.. who are you lol? u are going to the interview this saturday too? what do u prepare for it? im so worried ><

      Delete
    3. Hey guys, in the letter, there is an attachment notifying us that there will be Cambridge personal styles questionnaire(CPSQ) and thinking skills assessment(TSA) for us to do. however, i wonder we will have Science and Maths test or not... Haih..

      Michelle, during your year, have you been notified that you have to take that Science and Maths test when you receive your invitation?

      Delete
    4. hye guys...in the offer letter, it is clearly stated that we will have two days assessment... i wonder if i pass the first day, then i will be qualified for the next assessment day??? or I have to go both days???hahaaa...see u guys, Emily n anonymous this saturday kikiki hope we will all pass the assessment well...all the bestttt....
      *im not fully prepared n yeah im worried too..plus i cant speak english well sob sob

      Delete
  6. Hello guys this is Evian. I am going to the interview also on this Saturday.I look forward to seeing you on the day :)
    By the way, I have a problem with my application form but I failed to contact Petronas for 2 days ( I had called and sent emails to Petronas for the past 2 days) Do you know any other way to contact them ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello Evian. What happen? U cant print out the application form? Maybe you can send an email to them?

      Delete
  7. I actually filled economics as my first preference in my application form but it turns out to be geology instead. Yup I have sent a few emails to them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Then its okay. if they didnt respond, just correct it on the sheets of the application form. n write economics fr yr first course in front of the envelope.(this is my suggestion lol)dont forget to inform them yr problem before u submit it tomorrow ><

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey guys, the interview was over.. how was ur performance? do u satisfy with your own performance?? izit hard?

    ReplyDelete
  11. did you guys apply for overseas scholarship or UTP ?

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi.. my iv is on monday. i wanna ask what exmple of critical thingking question? and for maths test, is it only from form 5? did the question like spm question or just a basic question? thankss for the answer.. :))

    ReplyDelete
  13. With RentalCars you can discover cheap car rental from over 49,000 locations across the globe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi do we need to write essays during the application of petronas scholarship?

    ReplyDelete

Do let me know what you think! :)