Best viewed using Google Chrome. Please email me if you need a fast reply as I may only reply comments here after a month. If you like my blog, remember to follow me! Thanks

Friday, March 29, 2013

Ethan: Back with a 50mm prime lens!

First, a picture of Danbo and a 50mm prime. I can't believe there's a Danbo photo for literally everything! <3
The right one is the prime lens I'm talking about in this post. :D
The left is a kit zoom lens, aka "starter" lens for new DSLR owners.
I have the 17-85mm kit lens instead of the 18-55mm in this pic.


Ethan is BACK!
After so many many weeks of MIA, he is finally BACK in the spotlight. :D

The why: He had been sick for a while, ever since Chinese New Year. I took him to shoot the CNY festival and reunion, and was frustrated with him too because the lens would NOT focus properly, and gave me all blurry photos. I thought it was my problem (as in not knowing what kind of suitable settings that would allow me to take sharper photos)

Who knows, after a while Ethan showed me an error and refused to take any more photos. Imagine my horror. I haven't had him for longer than a few weeks and he was already broken. Oh dear.

Took him to Canon service centre last week for a medical check.
Medical report: Problem with the 17-85mm zoom lens.
Medical cost: RM473

=.= *insert a swear word here*
Unfortunately parents want to find a cheaper alternative (read: find other service/repair centres) so Ethan is still an OKU (translate: disabled person).
Until >>> I <<< realize it was the lens that was causing all the frustration and immediately fish out the other lens. You see, Ethan came with two lens, one zoom lens, and one prime. The prime was a 50mm f/1.8 II Canon lens which is probably still the most popular prime on the Canon market (due to its cheap price and superb quality: value for money)

According to a lot of sources (and forums), the 50mm delivers exceptional sharpness and great quality at its amazingly low price (compared to other lens). Price is low because it is cheap to make (since it has only one focal length) and as it's a prime (read: cannot zoom), it has only one job and does it better than others. Some people swear by prime lens because although they ARE extremely troublesome due to inability to zoom, they are much better lens than zooms (especially those with a HUGE range, for example 17-200mm)

And as it's a must for any photographer (amazing quality, low price, nothing else needed to say right?), Ethan's former owner also had one. And, it's now with me. So, the zoom lens was taken out, Ethan fitted with a new eye, and he is ready to go!

He is SO CUTE. Very small, and very light. (another plus for the prime!)
I could take him out for a whole day around my neck and he wouldn't weigh me down and tire me.
<3

Taking him out to my cousin's wedding dinner tomorrow! I know primes are extremely annoying to shoot with especially at fast-moving occasions like weddings, but this is all I have for now, so it's prime or nothing. Ethan's getting all excited again, it's his first time to shoot a wedding dinner. :)

Stay tuned xD.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do let me know what you think! :)