Best viewed using Google Chrome. Please email me if you need a fast reply as I may only reply comments here after a month. If you like my blog, remember to follow me! Thanks

Saturday, July 27, 2013

Study "Secrets" to A+s, As in PMR/SPM Exams



PMR and SPM are some months away, trial exams for them are just around the corner and I've been cornered by many juniors at my high schools (and older nephews/nieces) asking me about study secrets to success in those exams, since I scored straight As in both.

What can I say? Reminds me of reporters asking us how did we get good results during the result-day. (I basically just blab something totally untrue)

I believe 60% of the people who scored high in exams generally just have better memory and are just born smart. Now I'm not saying I'm born smart, 'cause there are so many smarter people and geniuses out there, plus I really did put a lot of effort into studying for the exams, but usually people who score better are those who can understand and retain knowledge easily.

Ever heard of anyone who says: "I am so interested in so-and-so topics/subjects, and I can understand it at the moment with a little explanation, but after some time I just forgot/can't understand. So I end up not knowing what to write during exams."

Now I'm also not saying that people like that will forever be average and never score As. That's a wrong concept and I did once consider to be a teacher just to let everyone know that this is so untrue. (LOL)
I think average students just need to have a lot of personal attention and explanation from teachers, as well as doing a lot of exercises. Anyone can score good grades.

So here are my study secrets, apply when and where necessary:

-Get your languages mastered. Average students are almost always average only because of being weak in languages. Consequently they end up not understanding the other subjects in English/Malay because they don't understand the meaning of terms/sentences/words. And even if you explain and they finally understand, they still can't transfer the knowledge to paper because they have no idea how to write and explain what they know in a language they are weak in. I think this is the most crucial step and many students need to realize this. If they can master the language, what's stopping them from mastering the knowledge?

-Organize study groups! This is so effective, especially if you have like-minded friends who are keen to study. Actually it doesn't hurt to joke around for a while, just know when to stop. Find the balance between being serious and humour, and you'll all be fine. I think this is my only major "secret"!

-Self-study. I only do this when exams are around the corner. Usually I'm like "so many subjects, which to study?" and when the exam timetable is out (a week before), only then I start planning when to study what, because it's easier. I study right up till the last minute, especially when it's a huge exam (mid year, end of year, trial, etc).


Yes this means a few hours of sleep, burning the midnight oil and doses of caffeine while munching on every page of the thick reference books, just to be sure I didn't leave out any tiny piece of info. Of course I don't recommend everyone to do the same, because health deteriorates, risk of blanking/sleeping during exams, yadayadayada but that is what I did and I am being honest here. You can try during one of the minor exams. If you can push through, welcome to the Midnight Oil Club. If not, you're better off studying consistently everyday and drilling through exercises. :)

I'm told that this is only effective for students who are so afraid of blanking during exams because they haven't read up on certain information recently. The majority of students will just fall asleep halfway through burning midnight oil. 

-Know which are your weakest topics/subjects/parts in exam papers and drill yourself accordingly. Sometimes there is just not enough time to go through everything so focus on the stuff that you understand the least first.

-Tips and tricks. You can learn many tips/tricks to write better answers which lead to better grades. Sometimes these are taught by school teachers, mostly by tuition teachers, and if you ask around you can probably get a whole box of tips from friends. Stay up-to-date about the wants of Ministry of Education. They change stuff a lot, all the time.

-Do one question on one piece of paper. This is soooooo true! Why? Because it lets you do the questions you know first, and leave the difficult ones until later, and even lets you do extras if you are not sure on the previous questions you have chosen, and then arrange them by sequence properly and clip up neatly! Using less paper and saving environment is the last thing you can have on your mind during big public exams. If it eases your guilt, the papers will probably be recycled.

What I did not do much of (super guilty!) but you are generally very, very much advised to do:

-Pay lots of attention in class:  I do try to, but when swamped by co-curricular activities and talking with friends which are so much more fun and late homework piling up, I just give up.

-Take notes during class: Truthfully I spend my time in class doing late homework, copying from the blackboard and gossiping with friends. But seriously. But take notes if you have particularly bad memory.


-Ask teachers if there are any questions/problems: Not all the time. Occasionally, yes. But during lessons, sometimes it's hard to ask, and most of the time when you want to ask them after lessons, they are just not there. And always there when you already have the answers. Weird right? But yes, this is still a good study tip.

-Do and pass up homework on time: I generally do my homework in class. NO IT'S NOT GOOD TO DO THIS. Homework is a form of drilling to help you understand the concepts and practise using them. So please do your homework and hand up on time. (will proclaiming this known fact do any lazy student any good?)



-Organize a study plan/timetable: I did try, but I end up messing things up and doing stuff when I shouldn't (on the timetable), so I don't anymore. I am a very disorganized person. But this is a really good piece of advice!

-Get a lot of sleep before exams: I burn the midnight oil. If I get a lot of sleep before exams, I end up feeling guilty, mind-blank because the knowledge isn't fresh in mind, and generally score badly. That's why a 3-week non-stop exam period makes me go crazy, because there are exams everyday and nights are sleepless consecutively five days per week. I hibernate for 24 hours afterward. But for those of you not used to sleeping for only a few hours, please get some sleep. No good to fall sick! 



So there they are, all "study secrets" that I can think of!
Hopefully I won't be as disorganized and lazy in college...but I'll find the balance between laziness and actual studying, like always.
(because I'm probably one of those kiasu students, but also one of those "smart" people who are aware of what is important, what is not, what I can get away with not doing properly, what I can't get away with and have to work hard on, etc. Is smart the right word? Haha.) :P

Study smart, not study hard. Don't work hard on something not worth it and ignore important ones.
Chill, it's not nearly as hard as you think, you just have to be bothered to study and do revision. Trust me.
Good luck to all of you guys taking PMR/SPM!

Love,

14 comments:

  1. hi ! i love the article. btw, how was your spm result ? if you dont mind. Im sitting spm this year and im really scared maybe coz im not prepared at all like literally for all the subjects. but i promise im trying my best now like today. do you have any advice for me. I have trouble believing in myself. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there! Sorry for the late reply yeah..
      You really should believe in yourself! I know how you feel being unprepared. I'm a super lazy person especially during SPM so I didn't study every day. The key is to find helpful friends to study with you, even though you guys may talk about other stuff 50% of the time, at least you studied something right!

      I'm really grateful for my friends cause they helped me with some difficult science/math stuff. If you take Accounting, do lots of long questions and you'll be confident enough. If you take sciences, try past years and memorise the experiments set-up. You can usually write the procedure and materials if you can draw the experiment diagrams. And for math just do lots of past years, they won't ask anything out of syllabus.
      For stuff like Moral just memorise the nilais and use common sense, and for languages, it's hard to practise but try working on essays (don't have to write out full essays, but list down points for common real issues)

      I got 9A+ and 2A. :) Not perfect but it got me my scholarship so I'm happy! haha
      *hugs* you'll do fine!
      Michelle

      Delete
    2. Oh and not every high-scorer is hardworking. All you need to do is to find the SMARTEST way to study, not the HARDEST. I sleep all the time :P
      Try not to do something that will get you addicted though (like playing video games or watching dramas). It's fine to watch a movie that ends in 2 hours or so, but not dramas with episodes that you have to follow everyday.

      Delete
  2. oh and your blog is amazing and please ignore my name..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm having problem with bm :/ any advice that I could get from u? :D my trials is on 27/8 :( I'm so worried as my essay is not accepted by my teacher not because I'm weak but she has too high standards n I couldn't reach till that level

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh God sorry I see this like 18 days after .___.
      But there's still a week so~
      For BM essay, long-term you'll need to read many essays. Read them, find out their similarities, and copy the awesome sentences that will give you top marks.
      I'm sorry I can't remember examples because it's been more than a year since I've touched BM LOL, but I find it useful to have a structure that you can just paste your whatever-topic into. Like a skeleton, write out a general essay, and just switch out the content. Usually introduction and conclusion same for all essays, so just find a slapbang cool intro and conclusion and use for all.
      For content, usually you'll have a statement, an example, and further explanation. Think of cool examples beforehand for all those general topics like faedah membaca, faktor that contributes to perpaduan, masalah environment (sorry my bm fail hahaha), and usually you can use same examples for a lot of topics.
      Like environment topic will usually come out, they just ask in different ways and twist the questions, but the examples and style should be the same.
      I don't recommend memorizing entire essays cause there are too many. Try to group them under headings like "faedah", "faktor", "masalah", etc, and also under stuff like "sekolah", "alam sekitar", "keluarga" etc.
      If it's still the same, usually the questions will be diri, keluarga/sekolah, masyarakat/alam, negara, antarabangsa. My teacher always recommend first 3, because easier give examples and don't have to worry how accurate it is.
      If you have time, find some general quotes by some general big name people and slot them in somewhere. :)

      That's all I can think of now, message me if there's anything else. You can reach me on Facebook (in the contact me link), I'm 24/7 there lol. Good luck!

      Delete
  4. Hi^ thanks for sharing your tips on studying for the exam. I will be sitting for spm this year, I guess you took mandarin in yr spm, did you? Can you share some of your tips on how you prepare for mandarin? Would be so glad if you are willing to. I'm taking mandarin and I'm so uncertain about it as my school doesn't offer mandarin class and we have to attend tuition class on our own. Wonder what do you get for mandarin, but for mandarin, an A is considered so so so good already.

    Planning to go for IB as well, but the only thing that annoys me is that the intake is in July!

    Anyway, thanks for you reply!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Leo!
      Sorry it took forever to get back to you D: If you have any more questions please email me! I check my email everyday!
      Yep I took mandarin for spm! OMG it's been so long since the exam I don't think I remember anything anymore ><
      I got an A for my Mandarin (which was such a big shock cause I always got a B+ in class LOL)
      So even if you got less than an A, don't worry, it's a lot on luck. It's amazing that you're taking Mandarin on your own already, I really admire you!

      I only remember there's a 概述, an essay, and 古文, and weird poems and comprehension passages.
      First of all it helps to do practices. The more you practise, the more you'll get the hang of things. I completely understand if you feel lazy to do them (I hate to practise haha) but you need to do a few to recognize your weaknesses. Ask your tuition teacher what you still lack and brush up on them.

      For ancient text and poem, it's helpful to look up on what are the words for common stuff like "you", "me" and so on. I'm pretty sure there are guides online or at the back of some of them SPM mandarin reference books. If you know those words, it's helpful since you'll be able to understand what they are talking about.

      I didn't really prepare for mandarin as for me I feel that it's kinda something that you can't prepare (it's a language), but what you can do is practise on the different types of questions that will be asked. If you're too lazy to write essays, at least try writing out a brief structure. A factual essay is always better than a story/narrative one as for story you will easily go off-topic and also it's not easy to conclude.

      Great that you're considering IB! The workload is heavy, but it's definitely an interesting experience, and the social support you get from IB-mates is awesome. Yeah it annoyed me too, but for me it's fine as I'm a pretty chill human haha. Use the extra time to try work in the field you're interested in, it helps for your uni applications later!

      Michelle

      Delete
  5. Hey there, im sitting for spm this year.
    I just wanna ask you if you think it is still possible to get straight As not straight A+ if I study last minute like now? Im so scared and regret for wasting so much time before this. And do u think that the baseline pm for spm found online is true such as 67 for biology is A- and so on?? Can they be trusted? Is the level for getting A - is only 60++? I hope you reply to me soon. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, sorry for the late reply. IMO I think it's still possible to do anything, there's still two months to go so don't worry too much! Are your foundations in your subjects okay? As I always suggest, try doing past year papers, they will give you an idea of what to expect, and if the papers seem hard, then do more side practices! I know it's really hard to get yourself to do practice, but there's only 2 more months so do try and hang on! Deactivating any social media you have will also be useful (a lot of my friends did that back then!), maybe ask your parents to keep your laptop/phone during the time you're doing revision, or maybe ask them to help limit your time of surfing net and watching TV by maybe 2 hours per day? Think about how you waste time and try to limit what you do :)

      And yes I think that the baseline is quite true, but try to not rely too much on it because it will be different every year. This is because the average quality of students is different every year, so the average score will be different as well. So just do your best and everything will be fine :)
      Michelle

      Delete
  6. Hi I'm sitting for spm this year and it's already the 7th of october which means spm is just 25 days away and I feel like i couldn't get straight a's .. because i only get 6A's for trials and 4 B+ thats a lot of b's. I'm starting to feel worry and lose confidence in getting straight a's for spm.. i really nedd your help :'( and assurance.. do you think it's possible for me to get straight a's for spm, considering there isn't much tine left. Really need your advice

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi.im so stressed out . I left two weeks to spm and im not fully prepared. What should I do?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hye,I really like your article.Well, I am sitting for my SPM examination this year and it's just around the corner.I didn't do well in my mid-year test as I only got 5 A's,1 B+ , 1E and failed in physics and add.maths.I really want to get straight A's in my SPM can you help me by giving advice on how to study for chemisty,physics and add.maths???

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey,
    Thanks for sharing these tips. I usually takes notes in class as I believe this is the best way to memorize the main points just before exams. Absolutely agreed with you on Study smart and not study hard. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete

Do let me know what you think! :)