Best viewed using Google Chrome. Please email me if you need a fast reply as I may only reply comments here after a month. If you like my blog, remember to follow me! Thanks

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Milestone: Leaving The Nest

Before I start this post, I would like to say thanks to all of you who visit my blog regularly. It reached 10000 pageviews recently and though it's not a great feat by any means, I still wanna thank you guys! :)


LOL no, my parents aren't kicking me out like in the above picture. :P
But yes, I am leaving the nest.

I will try my best not to turn this into another emotion-laden, tearful until it's soggy post. 
Hahahaha.
Truthfully I am kinda looking forward to leaving home because it's like a new thing in my life right, and there's not much going on in my life right now, so it's like something to focus on. :)


(unfortunately I have to say I'm not glamorously catching a plane to KL...I have so much rubbish stuff to bring there :( I need a private plane, or at least a van  car to take all of them. 
So my dad's gonna drive me there, with mom. :)
They're going to stay for a few days, and then leave when I start my first Orientation. :(
Well all of us are going to leave our families sooner or later, just like animals do. I'm just going to do it now. There are probably many people who do it earlier and later. I think now is the best time for me. 

I know, I know, this is damn scary. First time and all, so far away from home.
I'm starting to think things like what am I gonna do if I get sick?
What am I gonna do if I want to go somewhere?
What am I gonna do if something emergency happens?
What am I gonna do if there's a problem?
And the biggest question of all:

What am I gonna do if I'm homesick? :(

Oh no I'm such a boo-hoo even before I'm there and I thought I promised myself not to turn this into a soggy piece of crap. Right. Some pictures of cute baby birds to balance out the mood.

This is me a few years ago
This is me a few weeks ago :P
And this will be me tomorrow!
And there's the question of food. Yeah, food has always been a problem for us who have the more-times-than-we-would-like experience of going to malls like QB or Gurney and just walk around aimlessly for half an hour (or more) wondering what to eat. Most of the time we're just hoping for someone to voice out and suggest a place and we'll all feel relieved. We didn't really care where to eat, it's more or less the same anywhere. You know, mall food.

I know that was in Penang and we could have gone straight to hawker centres where they have awesome stuff to eat all the time but then we were in a mall and anyway I think most of us Penangites underestimate the yumminess of Penang food (until we moved to someplace else and regretted).
This came up when I googled for "underestimate".
It's too cute to ignore. :P

But now the question is, I'm going to >> KL.

-Food is expensive (I've witnessed my uncle paying over RM20 for a bowl of Penang Laksa (the irony) at a KL restaurant, when you can get the authentic thing in Penang for less than RM4)
Since my allowance isn't going to be like a LOT, I'd have to watch out and save whenever I can. I don't want to run out of money before the month ends. I don't even want to use all the money on food. :( I wanna have some left for shopping, and I even wanna have some left after that. Accumulated savings and all that. *ambitious*

-Food is not as tasty....as in Penang. I've gone to KL for enough times to know that. Even the ones claiming to be authentic Penang food will be shunned if they were actually to come here and sell. I'm actively praying that it won't be that bad. Don't want to lose more weight over mall food and frequent KFC. Once a month is already tough. :(
I'm gonna miss y'all :(
-Food is not home-cooked. Obviously. Even FedEx can't help me with this. My mom might nag like hell all the time (whose mom doesn't) but I should admit here that her cooking is great and I eat more at home than I do outside. And my mom's a cooking mom, which means that 90% of my meals are cooked at home, not at restaurants. Unless we went out for some reasons. (and even then, another 8% are at Penang hawker centres. God I'm going to suffer)

-Food is a headache. Eating is going to be a chore from now on. See, no one is going to cook for me while I surf the net or watch telly, and have dinner ready on the table. Bleh. I actually have to go out and find something edible, if I don't want to cook. Which I obviously don't, at least not for the first few months. Hmph. I actually have to think about what to eat for the next meal. Damn. My mom (sometimes dad) used to do all the thinking of what to cook next, and I'm the one playing the role of eating and washing up.

:( Food ramblings. I think the source of homesickness will very likely be the lack of home food.
Maybe, just maybe after I'm super duper tired of eating out, I might just cook in my condo kitchen. It won't really be that bad if I just follow steps right? :P

I guess.
It's only the food that's buggering me so much. I can do my own laundry, I've been doing it every other day for the past months. I can clean my room. I might even clean the bathroom if we really have to do it on a roster routine. (well I'm still holding out hope that there's some kind of cleaner who will help us do that...haha)

I can wake up everyday by myself, and I can deal with problems. Socializing should be okay as long as everyone's relatively friendly and approachable. I can function by myself and do usual stuff on my own. I'm not some spoilt rotten child who doesn't even know how to tie shoelaces and button her shirt.

It's the food, the food.

I'm not used to eating out everyday. And the very idea of having to think where to eat for at least twice a day makes me go "oh no...do I really have to?"

Guess I don't have a choice. I can't have the cake and eat it too right?
Guess I'll have to find a way to adapt then.
Get used to servings of Ajinomoto or cook my own food.
At least I'll still have my own privacy. Hoping housemates will be all right though. A horrible one can make things very difficult and stressful, and although I probably could request a change if I want, it'll be so much hassle. And as housemates are probably going to be my coursemates, I seriously don't wish for someone who acts rotten. :/
I'm sure I'll have a blast if they're awesome, even when everything else is not so much!

I'm leaving tomorrow, and I'm a bit giddy, crazy and half-excited, half-scared.
Who wouldn't be scared, seeing as family's the only permanent thing in my ever-changing life?
I'm definitely sure that I'll miss home.
But hoping that I'll have fun over at KL and not be so homesick like some of my friends who have flown out of their homes.
Some of them are lucky to have a few (or more) friends to be with them there, cheering them up if they're ever feeling down because of homesickness (or anything else).

I have none. I don't know anyone there. I don't get to choose my housemates. The only thing I have is a memory of my only visit there two months ago, and it's not much.
I won't have anyone to cheer me up if I'm down.
*that sounds a bit sad again*

But to finish off this post with a positive outlook, I am definitely sure that I'll be fine.
No friends? Make some.
Feel down? Laugh to yourself. Watch something funny.
Still feel down? Ring up a best friend. If he/she's so "best", he/she'll help you through.
Still feel impossibly down? Call mom.
Family and best friends are always there, no matter how far they are physically. :)

By the way besties, if any one of you still feel like shit (I know it'll be at least a month already for you guys), I'm always here for you.
That's what friends are for, and besides, don't ever ever have the thought that I'll disappear off the face of the earth just because we're apart, I'm living a new life and having new friends.

I love you people all the same. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do let me know what you think! :)