Best viewed using Google Chrome. Please email me if you need a fast reply as I may only reply comments here after a month. If you like my blog, remember to follow me! Thanks

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Be Yourself: The New Normal


This is a challenge I dared myself. Lacking of interesting stuff to write I went to The Daily Post and ended up with this topic (which is like so abstract?).
You can let me know whatever interesting stuff you want me to write too, I'll try. :)

Is being normal good?
A quick check on the dictionary revealed the following:
Adjective
Conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected.
Noun
The usual, average, or typical state or condition.

So why would people want to be "usual", "average", "typical"?

Well it's better to be normal if you're trying to fit in at first. No one would want someone who stands out too much in contrast to everyone else. But as time goes on, you'll end up just like another someone in the community, another "usual" person, maybe even a stereotype.

Will anyone remember you long after you're gone? Doubtful. Always in the shadows, always being normal, always doing what people expect, always staying close to the tracks.
There must come a time when you should be yourself, to show who you are and what you can do.
To carve a place for yourself among the people you're with, in the community you're surrounded by.

Now I'm not talking about normal as in physical or a mental condition. This is about feeling normal, and doing things deemed normal in society or everyone close to you. Of course it's also not about running naked in the streets.

But what if you think you're not normal? What if you think you don't measure up to society's level of normal? What if you think you're not smart enough, not pretty enough, not rich enough, not good enough?

The answer is to be you.

Everyone is different. So what is normal? Why do people strive to be normal anyway? You are you, why compare yourself against anything that you consider to be normal? Why do you even want to be "usual", "average", "typical"?
Don't you want to be different, to be yourself?

Yes, there are rules in society, and in tradition. But most of us have problems which aren't breaking any rules at all. And even if we do bend the rules a little, can't we find ways to be us without going against them?

I'm not "normal" by any means. I'm not your typical, usual girl next door, with all the cuteness, kindness and an unassuming, honest personality. I'm not a tomboy, or a girly girl, or an alpha female, or an ice queen, or whatever you can come up with, although technically, I can be all those.  I am never a stereotype of anything, because it'd be hard to fit me into any kind of pattern. Just as when you think you can pin a "type" on me, I come up with something totally different.

I used to really dislike myself because I never know what's going on with me inside. I do stuff without knowing why. I said things that I wonder about later, and most of the time I end up aggravating myself because I never seem to know why I (still) feel this way, and wonder if I'm normal? If this is normal? If what's happening to me/what I've decided is normal, or do I have a crazy problem?

I'm sure sometimes you feel the same way too.

Embrace your own uniqueness. Connect with others by showing yourself, the real you. Smile when you're happy. Cry when you're sad. Be yourself, don't do something just because it's "the normal thing to do". Do something because you want to, because you think it's perfect for you.

The normal way to go isn't always the best way to go.
The best way to go is the way that you truly feel is best for you.
Normal is just an illusion.
Be unconventional.
Life gets better when it's not boring, when it's not bound by stereotypes. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do let me know what you think! :)