Best viewed using Google Chrome. Please email me if you need a fast reply as I may only reply comments here after a month. If you like my blog, remember to follow me! Thanks

Friday, September 2, 2011

Book Review: Shopaholic Takes Manhattan

Review: 4****!



Anyone read the first book yet, Confessions of A Shopaholic?


This is the second in line, and it tells of Becky Bloomwood who flies to Manhattan with her boyfriend Luke Brandon because he’s opening a new branch of his company there.


The book starts off with Lucy and Tom’s wedding, where Becky was humiliated because Luke never turned up every time to meet her relatives. Therefore everyone thought she lied to everyone about him being her boyfriend.


Anyway, then Becky and Luke flew to Manhattan, and Becky is enthralled by all the shops and all the glamour there, where people rushes by and goes to sample sales. Becky loves the place, it’s her habitat. Soon she has visited all the shops and went to lots of sample sales, and met some new friends too.


Luke has some problems with his company and his mother Elinor who lives there. Becky can’t stand Elinor, but Luke is obsessed with trying to please his mother even though she dumped him the first chance she got.


Then one day a really huge disaster shattered Becky’s world. It rocked both her and Luke apart and made her flew back to London without him. Luke didn’t even contact her for weeks even when he came back to London.


Will their relationship survive?


There’s some parts in this book that really touched me. Spoiler scroll down. All I can say is, it’s a good read. Go get it. And now, spoiler. Scroll down.


























I loved the part where Luke appears at Lucy’s wedding, and shocked everyone off. That particular scene isn’t shown, but after that he told Becky and I was so satisfied the stuck-up people got shocked at him. Apparently one of the bridesmaid even screamed "God, he exists!" LOL.


I absolutely adore the part where after auctioning off all her belongings in order to pay off the debts, Becky probably will never see her Denny and George scarf (the one that brought her and Luke together) ever again.


Guess what…at the airport where Becky was going to leave for Manhattan to work there, Luke turned up, and they talked but Becky was really firm on her decision (I admire her for that). Then when Luke was leaving in despair, he turned around, took out the scarf and wound it gently around her shoulders. And he said: “You don’t want to lose this.” And she asked: “But…the other person won the bid!” He said: “Both of them were me.”


And I almost cried.


God…it’s so sad. You can actually feel his sadness. I wonder how Becky could ever get on that plane.


Maybe I’m not as strong as I thought. >< That’s a depressing thought.

Anyway, love this book!

Till then,
Michelle Yuen Ai

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do let me know what you think! :)