Best viewed using Google Chrome. Please email me if you need a fast reply as I may only reply comments here after a month. If you like my blog, remember to follow me! Thanks

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Introducing Project ADOPT

Today is Saturday and I'm not at an orphanage teaching children basic English and Maths.
Shame on me.

Because the group I'm teaching is very dependent and terribly weak at the stuffs they are to learn, I am worrying over them and how Daryl (the other tutor in my group and fellow IB-mate) is coping with five (or six?) children who don't go to school.

To distract myself I'm dedicating some time to writing this post which is about this project I'm participating in, which is called Project ADOPT. I don't know if it's an acronym but I came up with some ideas about it which apparently many people quite like (but I don't because it's very unrefined LOL)


Anyway, it's a long-term project where we dedicate two hours (three including to and fro) to teaching basic academic stuff to some children at an Indian orphanage. Some of them go to school but need extra tutoring due to the lack of personal attention given to them, and some of them are unable to go to school because they don't have their birth certificates, hence they are not officially citizens and so they cannot attend school.



We usually help with Maths and English because these are the most important subjects to master, and also some art and craft and other subjects if we want to and if they can understand. They are fluent in Tamil and not bad in Malay, especially those who do go to school are generally more talkative and confident. Most are eager to learn however some need personal attention because they are shy and get distracted easily.



My first visit: Epic fail. Didn't know what to expect at all!
My second and third visit: Muchhhhhh better! I prepared some interesting printed worksheets, brought a few picture books and invested in a box of colour pencils (which is by far the best investment ever because they love to colour)


It is little wonder that the seniors left the project with a heavy heart. The eagerness and simple happiness and wonder of the children there grow on you and make you feel wonderful. You just feel like you hold the key to their future and you have the power to shape them slowly into more educated people, even though it's a long-term process.

It's meaningful. If I hadn't had to come home, I wouldn't miss a day with them for anything.
Their smiles are totally worth it. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do let me know what you think! :)