Best viewed using Google Chrome. Please email me if you need a fast reply as I may only reply comments here after a month. If you like my blog, remember to follow me! Thanks

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Viva España, Again!


The photo above says it all.

It couldn't have been a better birthday present.
Spain won the finals! Of Euro 2012!

As promised (with myself), I had agreed with myself to watch the finals live IF Spain enters, but not if it didn't get past the semis. So I stayed up until 5am and watched the live coverage on my PC.

I had expected to get bored since their games have always been dull and short on goals, but as it turns out, they scored 4 and blew everyone's minds off.

Spain reverted back to their widely-debated 4-6-0 formation, no strikers, but with a false 9. For those not familiar, this means they have 4 defenders and 6 midfielders, but the false 9 who plays deep into the field can turn into a striker whenever needed.
Dropped for the semi-final against Portugal, Cesc Fabregas returned to Spain's starting line-up to occupy the 'false 9' role he had taken up against Italy in the 1-1 draw between the sides in group match.

The first came from David Silva, quite early in the first half. It woke me up just as I was gonna doze off.

Second came from Jordi Alba, interestingly enough a defender, four minutes just before half-time. Defenders are supposed to defend, not strike and score, so this just goes to show how amazingly well-balanced the Spanish team is.


Half time. Spain 2, Italy 0.

Game started to dull down after that, and I was quite sure that was all, even though I badly wanted Spain to score more, they aren't famed for many goals. Italy's side was left with only 10 men on the field after injuries on multiple players.

Torres came up, replacing Fabregas. Wanting to score a goal, he played fast and managed to get the ball in during the 84th minute. By now I was jumping up and down in excitement, silently egging them on to score another. Hahaha.

Lo and behold, assisted by Torres, Juan Mata scored the 4th for Spain! Yay!

And even more great is Italy didn't get even a goal in. Let's not forget that was because of the totally amazing goalkeeper of all time, Iker Casillas whose hands are insured. Haha.



It's a great score because to me, one goal lost have to be compensated with one goal won. Which means that a 2-2 is no better than a 0-0. A 5-4 is just like a 1-0. A team isn't much good if it allows the other team to score that many goals. So I was extremely glad that Spain didn't have to lose any goals to Italy, or worse, resorting to penalties, which are really 70% based on luck. That wouldn't prove anything even if they'd won.

It is the biggest winning margin in the history of the tournament - beating West Germany's 3-0 win over the Soviet Union in 1972.

Dazzling in possession, rapier in their attacks, regal in their control of proceedings, this was the moment for Spain to lay down their law.

Any reports of the empire's demise were very much mistaken.

They had a point to prove to the world, and they have proven it.

Once again, I can happily say: Viva España! ^.^

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do let me know what you think! :)