Best viewed using Google Chrome. Please email me if you need a fast reply as I may only reply comments here after a month. If you like my blog, remember to follow me! Thanks

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Divergent the Movie : Review!


Fan poster but I love this better than the official ones
I went to watch Divergent the movie yesterday at KLCC. :3 
So like I watched with B cause he let me pick the movie and I was like OMGOMG when I saw the movie on the list. The queue was super damn looooong at the popcorn counter so we rushed downstairs to get drinks and then rush back up again. Sneaked into the cinema with outside drinks. What do, the queue was too long. They should open more counters or give priority to people whose show is starting.

Yes I've been waiting for Divergent since forever (aka more than one year ago), even before Theo James was picked as the male protagonist. :DDD
Omg Theo James is hot .___.
Not the hottest guy, but still super hot. Those strong eyebrows :D I have a thing for eyebrows.

How could you resist :O :D
Anyway the movie was around 2 hours long and the ads lasted for 20mins ==””
At that point I didn't know who is playing Four so I was really really excited and hopeful that he won't look horrible (we all know what happened to Ethan Wate in Beautiful Creatures the movie). And I really hoped that the movie won't let me down after what happened to BC as well.

The starting cast and crew names rolled, and I realised that Summit Entertainment produced the movie (they produced quite many film adaptations I remember, they produced Twilight lol). I know Shailene Woodley is playing as Tris (I thought she was okay looking in pictures, but she was just so beautiful in the movie like seriously). When Theo James' name came up, I thought his name is pretty set for a good looking guy :P. B is amused that the director is called Burger cause we were starving that time and even his name has to be food-related rofl.


Anyway, I think the movie was awesome. I LOVE the soundtrack (especially that part where Tris refused to be dropped from Dauntless and ran after the train full of Dauntless initiates, where they were going to capture the flag). Hans Zimmer is awesome, he does epic soundtracks for a lot of adrenaline-rushing movies so like he's a pro. And I'm so happy because this means that the movie has action in it, unlike a lot of other film adaptations where they just build the characters and do nothing else. Divergent jumps straight into the action (easily cause we're watching Dauntless right) but nevertheless wonderfully brought out by the directors. It also helps that Veronica Roth (author) is a co-producer, so like she can give input on stuff to make the film relate more to the book.

Shailene is so pretty :D
In my opinion it's a film well done cause it doesn't bring the book down or just narrates, in pictures, how the book goes, but instead highlights the interesting parts of it and make it exciting such that people would want to read the book. All the characters play their parts really great, not just the protagonists, but the supporting actors as well, like Christina, Eric and Jeanine. Unlike Twilight where Kristen Stewart just sucks (sorry to all Stewart's fans out there but I hate her acting, she's so wooden and emotionless omg), Shailene Woodley is lovely in bringing Tris' “divergency” out: she's brave, she's selfless, she's smart as hell, and “there's a certain beauty in her non-conformity.”


The movie is satisfying in many ways: it stays true to the book in most parts and they didn't really need to change the movie much to shorten the book, they just remove the unnecessary episodes and string the interesting ones together. I think they change the ending somewhat (I certainly don't remember Divergent ending that way, maybe they took some from Insurgent). Correct me if I'm wrong cause I read the book a year ago, but Divergent ended with the parents' deaths and Tris killing Will and Four trying to kill Tris but woke up in time. Ugh. I should go back to the book to refresh. The movie certainly gives me the motivation.

I love the clothes they designed too, really nice. I love Dauntless' clothes, all black and slightly red. It makes the characters look nicer (I have a thing for black) and Tris looks perfect. Makes me want to be in Dauntless lolol. No I can't survive. Haha. What they did is creepy as hell. But I like the flying fox thingy they do, so awesome flying through the wind. It's shown in the movie. :D


B thinks I'll be Erudite, but I wanna be Candor. I certainly see the appeal in Candor because the world and people around me are so fake. If I'm in Candor, everyone will be honest so I don't have to worry about people lying to me or hiding things from me. Such peace of mind. B thinks I can't take criticism but I guess I'll manage if I'm in Candor? Cause I'll be honest to people back, and it'll become a norm so like I don't have to worry much. And like people will be truthful about whether they like me or not and everything so I know what to do. It's great. :O
I'm a pioneer for truth lololol.

I don't mind being Erudite though, cause I'm interested in everything and anything and it'll be awesome to gain more knowledge. But Erudite in the books and movie is more sciencey so I don't think I'll like it much. I can't be in Amity or Abnegation cause I'm neither selfless nor kind, and I can't be in Dauntless cause I'll die. So yeah. Candor it is <3


So yea, Divergent is pretty awesome. B likes it a lot, he thinks it's a good movie. I think it's the best film adaptation I've ever seen so far. The first Hunger Games was okay too, not bad, but I like Divergent kind of better cause even though Hunger Games is completely fighting-for-life action, Divergent has better-looking characters and I love the idea of factions (although HG also have districts so what am I talking about .____.)
Okay, both of them are awesome films. Hahaha. I should rewatch HG to make a fair comparison. :3


Verdict: 9/10. If you like the book, this is definitely a must-watch. It won't let you down! (unless you like a certain chapter and they didn't show it, which I don't think so, or unless you think Theo James is ugly, which is impossible...right?) Go watch it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do let me know what you think! :)